I am a veterinary assistant. Working for about six months at my uncle’s clinic gave me some education that a few vet schools failed to teach. Being a veterinary assistant puts you to the actual health scenarios of the animals. But may be you are puzzled why I chose to become a veterinary assistant rather that being a real veterinarian. At first when I took veterinary medicine, I am hesitant if it is really the career I want to take. Of course I love animals but it is rather a different thing when you are a doctor. You are not only handling the health of the animals but also their lives. This is what I am thinking while preparing a dose of dog wormer for a beagle.

The beagle that I am currently attending to has been delivered here at the clinic late in evening yesterday with his owner rushing over the emergency situation. The dog was dehydrated, fainting and weak. With a few samples of the feces, it has been diagnose to have tapeworms and low concentration of hookworms. The dog was given medication in the soonest time and now I am preparing for a second shot of the dog wormer.

The owner is also fainting together with the dog. It must be funny but this happens every time an emergency condition happens here; may be because they really love their pet so much. My uncle said that being a veterinarian is more than giving medical treatment. It is giving a new life to the animals. Like what I am presently doing, preparing the dose of dog wormer is more than getting rid of the parasites, giving the dog wormer is saving the life of the beagle that I am attending do. When you handle a living creature, whether human or simply an animal, you are an instrument in extending their lives. That is why I have to prepare properly the doses of the dog wormers that I am asked to do.

The dog wormer that I am preparing is in the liquid form for easier digestion of the beagle. Though it can be on chewable tablets, and has the same effect, the owner would rather prefer the liquid for it to take effect immediately.

My uncle prescribed the dog wormer to be administered for three consecutive days. Since he prescribed panacur or febendazole, this is safe for the dog. Moreover, the veterinarian also suggested to the owner that though they are strict in the home hygiene, he should take deworming proactively by bringing his dog every month for a deworming session rather than waiting for the situation to happen again.

It is a relief to see the dog’s conditioned renewed after the medication. After such, now I am giving it a second thought to pursue my veterinary medicine career.

0 komentar